Sunday, July 25, 2010

One Month... Culture Shock

Its been one month since we have arrived in Thailand. I would love to express a romantic picture of the first month and everything being incredible and perfect. I mean how could it be that bad right? Living in Ao Nang South Thailand, arguably one of the most picturesque paradises in the world. Enjoying the wonderful Thai people with my family. How could it get any better?


Maybe that is part of the hard part. I don't understand my feelings. I have felt extreme highs and lows since being here; Frustration, Anger, Depression, Doubt, Isolation, Abandonment, Lack of Control... These are just a few of the things that I have experienced over the past few weeks. More than anything else my mind and heart have felt like a battle field. Reading about the symptoms of culture shock and language shock have helped me at least to recognize that it isn't just me. Praying and trying to hold on to the strength of the Lord.

Coming to understand that I am not strong enough and I am still in need of a Savior.

2 comments:

  1. Life is never easy, is it? Certainly your chart describes the emotions and choices well. Hang in there bro. You are doing the right thing. You are making the right choices. Keep on fighting the urge to give in and give up. Keep praying for guidance and the spiritual gift of tongues to understand the language. We will continue to pray for you and your family. I will especially pray that you have the courage and strength to carry on and that you are able to start understanding the people and learning the language. You will be strong enough to overcome this trial with the Lord. Many prayers,
    Jared

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeremy,
    I would like to encourage you to ask the Lord for enough grace to suffice for one day at a time. We need not look beyond each day for each day has enough trouble of it's own. The Thai people are a wonderful people and these are the very people that God has led you to along with your family.
    Culture shock is an interesting thing especially when we learn the culture enough to love the great parts of it and to equally recognize that in all cultures there are things that are not so great. I'm sure we would likely have a hard time identifying with the culture of Jesus in his time and place on Earth.
    The Lord will certainly bless you and your family. When we doubt the most is when we are not looking directly at Him but perhaps elsewhere. I am praying for you that your faith will not fail you. When you return in strong faith strengthen your brothers.
    In Him,
    Wayne Gaines

    ReplyDelete