Friday, August 14, 2009

Oh Hebrews... [Guest Post by Corbett Cutts]

Guest post by my good friend and brother in Christ, Corbett Cutts.

""'We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again.'" (Hebrews 5:11-12).

WOW! Nobody ever said the author of Hebrews was gentle with his words - but what truth those words hold.

I've read that passage 4 times in the past 24 hours and it wasn't because I didn't understand it or because I was falling asleep (usually why i reread passages) - but because each time i read it, it humbles me more than words can express. For the past twenty nine years I have associated myself in some way, shape or form with Christ. At times, I was seeking Him with all of my being; and other times, God wasn't even on the back burner...He wasn't on the stove or even the kitchen. Yet, I still knew who He is and what He offers. But the question remains - in those (nearly) three decades, where was my spiritual maturity? I am still a BABE in both my understanding of and my trust (faith) in Christ? Here I am professing my lifelong love for Christ and I'm not sure I can name all the books of the Bible..............

The point is that the author of Hebrews has me pegged. By now, i should be leading people spiritually. But I'm not, I'm scared and unprepared and it's a very sad truth. I know I lack the cranial capacity to know God fully and I am at His will for Him to reveal Himself to me in Scripture and His creation to know Him more. My epistemology is not to know all of God's being - that would be impossible. But my focus should be on using the tools He has provided me to shape my ethos.

God - my prayer is that this new season in my life will bring greater maturity and understanding of You. Not for my own edification, but so that I can be a more effective resource for you in transforming lives and helping those that are seeking You open their hearts to meet and receive You."

This is so applicable to us all. Thank you for sharing brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment